Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Seeing You in the Distance

For Walt – a voice I have know all my life

Seeing You in the Distance
By Teri H Hoover ©

Aging vehicle
pressing north.
I-79 flattens the hills into swells.
Careening into the haze of late summer,
and then abruptly east
onto the I-90.

Just there on the horizon, unafraid.
Deep blue rising
above the edge of the earth.
Poised for spilling itself in all directions.
But it doesn't.



A poem for poet Walt Wojtanik . Walt has just recently stepped down from his post at the blog PoeticBloomings and I was compelled to mark this transition with a poem.

When I first read his poems his “voice” sounded familiar to me. When I realized he was from Western NY, (near Lake Erie, where I grew up) it just seemed to fit. When I drive back to Buffalo from Virginia, one of the first sights that says, I am almost there, is the sight of Lake Erie resting on the horizon.


8 comments:

  1. Teri, I commented out at PB, but just wanted to repeat here how wonderful your poem is. The love and respect for Walt is clearly evident in your creative voice. This totally warms my heart.

    Marie Elena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie Elana- we continue to send those blessings round and round. It is in this movement of blessings we find our hearts connected. Grace set free a and grace received. Prayer in its purest form.

      Delete
  2. Teri. Wow, what can I say. Marie pointed me in your direction. Sorry I didn't find this myself. This is so very sweet of you to remember me this way, and now that you're the pre-eminent poetic voice from WNY, I am relieved to know its in good and very capable hands. I'll live to rhyme another day, but know you've garnered a special place in my heart with this tribute, I am extremely blessed to have "friends" like you and Marie. Stay focused and I'll keep reading your words. I'd be a fool not to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have pointed me in the right direction. Someday I will tell you why. But for now know that I keep you in my heart. Blessings to you and yours. Teri

      Delete
  3. Two poets on the same horizon - and I have been blessed to know both.
    Teri and Walt - keep your pens ever at the ready...
    Respectfully, Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules-I see you here too and wave to you on this horizon. xo Teri

      Delete
  4. Great tribute poem. (Last time I tried to leave a comment here it wouldn't have it -so fingers crossed this time!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Libby- My comments section is a bit slow if the post is over 2 days old. I have to go in and "allow" it to go through- So never fear, your comments will eventually turn up, and I appreciate every one. Stay well- Teri

      Delete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, thanks so much for stopping by.