Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Healing

Margo Roby- Wordgathering- June 19, 2012- Tuesday Tryouts- Summer Style
Healing by Teri H Hoover June 19, 2012


Through dirty open windows,
Freedom moves the stagnant air.
Moving beyond escape.
This is the season of possibility.

When the color green bandages all things broken
and the heart breaks into silent song.

Through aging screens, that squeak and shutter,
light unrestrained, streams unhindered.   
The pollen of  life settles into glass jars
collected and labeled, on dark pantry shelves.

When the sun glows warm like simmering peaches,
cooking down into a salve of forgetting. 

There in the still of evening dusk
the cigarette blends with the campfire,
while the night air erases all blame. 
Wings fold in with purpose .




About the prompt....
Margo asked us to write a list of everything we could think of associaaated with summer- AND then said to not use them in a poem about summer...

Here are my words:
open windows... (yup I broke the rules)
suntan
 short shorts
old red lawn mower
 smelly trash
elevators
quiet streets at 7AM
bubbling black top
 fresh corn
lawn chairs - the mark they left on your legs
 mosquitoes
grandmas back porch
sheets on the line
ice cream
walking on fence rails
chilly nights
summer blending into fall
 scribbling notes:
The season. Of ....possibility escape... liberation... life And in the garden street rows of corn with ears that never heard of thunder. but succumbed a to the heat my mother's kitchen. Those ears we're not the only thing to.succumb.Season when life comes into the winter....windows. and collects on pantry shelves and the color green bandages all things.

21 comments:

  1. Nice, Teri! I like the addition of simmering peaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM- There is something so comforting in a pot of simmering peaches. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Wings fold in with purpose.

    What a great feeling of contentment this inspires...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinksy- I am not sure what that really says... but I like it very much. Thanks for leaving a comment.

      Delete
  3. The heart breaks into silent song is sthe line for me! What wonderful images you conjure up with the last line bringing the piece to a most satisfying conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby- I can hear your heart singing. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  4. It was funny to read Jinsky's comment, as I was thinking, as I read through, that I felt contentment as I read. You paint a rich scene. I see it as a painting when I reread, one I would like to sit in front of for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for peeking in Margo-

      Delete
  5. Teri, this has to one of my very favorites that you have written. I love the imagery. I haven't done my list yet. I'm afraid I'll exclude all my images with my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, I happened to be wandering by. Don't worry. By excluding those images your brain is forced to come up with fresh creative images that reflect what you want to communicate about summer. Remember that it can be one small aspect. It doesn't have to be the whole concept of summer. Trust yourself. And if you find yourself psyching yourself out, choose the least used images from your list... but not until you try the other :-)

      Delete
    2. Annette- I love the way this piece feels. I was pretty astonished that after I actually followed directions (and wrote down all my summer words) that Margo tried to take them all away. She is clever. I actually included my list below. I wanted to keep them handy.

      Thanks for the nice comment.

      Delete
  6. Oh, good grief. I lost you. Will you ship me your email again? You can write and say hi and I'll have it: margoroby@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So like since I am punctuated challenged and unformatted is there any hope? Thanks for getting back to me. :-)

      Delete
  7. Such a healing poem. It seems so personal though I know you are using the prompts. Perhaps when you take all you associate with summer away the true essence remains?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teri, I really enjoyed this. I break rules all the time. I haven't written a list, but I might try writing a piece about summer with not actually mentioning the season.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "the color green bandages all things broken" - just perfect for this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teri, this spoke to me. Invoked memories of my youth, and camping trips, but the idea of a season of healing - the yin to the yang of the rest of the year. This is what I do during my summers, so that I can fully return to teaching. Strong writing here. Thanks.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a perfect description of summer! two of my favorite lines...
    "When the color green bandages all things broken"
    and
    "When the sun glows warm like simmering peaches,
    cooking down into a salve of forgetting"
    missed reading my favorite blogs while i was away. just getting caught up...

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a perfect description of summer! two of my favorite lines...
    "When the color green bandages all things broken"
    and
    "When the sun glows warm like simmering peaches,
    cooking down into a salve of forgetting"
    missed reading my favorite blogs while i was away. just getting caught up...

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a gorgeous description of the season! I also find summer very healing - perhaps because of the peace that somehow automatically comes with the heat and light and slower pace.

    I love the pair of lines:

    When the color green bandages all things broken
    and the heart breaks into silent song.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, thanks so much for stopping by.