Wednesday, May 23, 2012

a list to myself

Margo Roby's Tuesday Tryouts- "Self" 
a list to myself by Teri H Hoover




I am
this freshly paved path and somehow uneven
I am
the lift of birdsong winding through treetops
I am
the leaf falling away from the crowd
I am
the thought soaring alone, between beginnings
I am
as ornery as an old metal fence
I am
as obliging as stepping stones through a puddle
I am
the first rain drops on my cheek... telling me to put up my umbrella
I am
the pull on a dog's leash... this dog is quite sure there will be thunder
I am
the release of raindrops beginning to fall
I am
the grip of a hand on a tiny umbrella
I am
the song of the red-winged blackbird that makes me remember
I am
the color green after a summer rain that helps me forget
I am
walking home in the rain like the smell of honeysuckle
I am
forever the girl from long ago...running away
I am
older now and trying to return.


`

Additional bits...
I remember my umbrella, and to lock the door

I look more closely at poison ivy, I remember to move 

I hear rain drops and see sunshine
I see the a closed rosebud... waiting for all the things it needs
I am faith filled as the spent flower drops its petals.


17 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! You have captured "I Am - ness." So many inspired lines. These are among my favorites:

    I am
    forever the girl from long ago...running away
    I am
    older now and trying to return.

    Prob. because I feel the same way! When, if not now???

    A beautiful write, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary- your enthusiastic response helped diminish any uncertainty I was having. I enjoyed writing it - and that could have been enough. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Okay, Mary says it. I reblog her comment. I love I am poems. They aren't easy, but they are a lot of fun and they make us look very closely at ourselves and commit to a metaphorical comment on ourselves, that reveal a lot.

    I am so glad this came to you. Keep walking that dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margo- I knew there were probably poems like this... but if you told me to follow a form to do this... you know what would have happened. I really enjoyed writing this... but as you can tell I had no idea how to punctuate it.

      Delete
  3. "I am
    the thought that soars alone, between beginnings"

    Wow! This is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mama Z, I liked that line too.

      Delete
  4. Today with you, my friend I am as ornery as an old metal fence! Feeling so much better now that my friends have taken the time to offer me comfort. I will get through the next two weeks and will return to new brighter begining. :) Oh - thanks for sending the rain, we've got it now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules- You know that line came out just when I realized that it was going to start raining on me. We will get you through this!

      Delete
  5. I love reading your writing Teri. I can so identify!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb - that means so much coming from you...

      Delete
  6. I do not believe you are as ornery as an old metal fence -- but I love the line. Beautiful write Teri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH HELLO Annette! I thought you knew better than that... I can be a bit grouchy. And that line just made me laugh. Thanks for stopping by-

      Delete
  7. The line about being ornery as an old metal fence made me smile. Also, I think you must have much patience to be as obliging as stepping stones through a muddy puddle.

    I enjoyed reading this. It was very unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mara- that line just blurted itself into my head. It made me smile too. And yes, I think I have lots of patience. Nice to have you here.

      Delete
  8. What a great line: "I am the song of the red-winged blackbird that makes me remember"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawna- the red-winged black birds song holds my childhood walks in its song. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Teri, this is quite beautiful writing ! I can relate to being "ornery as an old metal fence" at times too (love the way you put that), and I too remember the song of the red-winged blackbird on our Salt River, and know that familiar tug of the dog on his leash, communicating what he sees, hears, fears, and wants. I enjoyed this very much. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, thanks so much for stopping by.