Thursday, December 08, 2011

a half mile from home

December 08, 2011- Small Stones
a half  mile from home  by  Teri H Hoover



 I live in Blacksburg, Virginia. Almost everyday, my dog Pepper and I walk  the Huckleberry Trail- less than a half mile from Virginia Tech. For nearly a year now I have been writing while I walk.  I made it to the fourth line of my thought (by talking it into my phone-) when my writing was stopped by the Virginia Tech alert sirens.

`

Two days of rain,
leaves this trail clean
Two days inside-
the whole of me leans into the joy of moving

Forward
toward unknown endings.

I approach the cornered fork.
where once I saw a fox-
straight-
from pointed nose to muffled tail
straight -
as a bullet from a gun.

I approach the cornered fork

Slamming into a sound of a mind numbing alert.
Someone lays dying-
The wailing of sirens beneath the words
“This is not a test... seek shelter now.”

Down the hill a quarter mile from Virginia Tech.
A half a mile from home.



`
A postscript - this evening they released the name of the Virginia Tech Police officer who was shot and killed.
Slain Officer Identified


God bless the family of  Deriek W. Crouse.





4 comments:

  1. Oh wow. This is a beautiful and powerful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Libby... I wish I only needed to write the first four lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartbreaking..my heart goes out to the officer's family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Linda- He was a dad of a a blended family- 5 children and step children and his wife, will need lots of prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, thanks so much for stopping by.