Wednesday, November 02, 2011

the lime and me

November 2, 2011- -Tuesday Tryouts Prompt
Write a poem of four quatrains that contains no adjectives, no adverbs, no similes, and the word “lime”.
the lime and me  by  Teri H Hoover

`
Afraid (Consumed by fear) of margaritas
the lime sat on the table
wrapped in plastic.
With the teapot for company.

I needed a dictionary
or a drink.
I wanted words
but could not think.

I wanted to stop
the lime did too.
I needed my friends
What could I do?

Ready to quit
This prompt and not go on.
The lime screamed- “Stop!”
Write now.

Adjectives, adverbs, similes... 
I love them so.
I may have used one of the forbidden parts of speech-
just let me know.

6 comments:

  1. Not a single forbidden! See. You can do it. I do think the spareness of leaving out the qualifiers allows us to see an experience much more closely. Not to say you always want to do this, but maybe work on nouns and verbs more, rely on adjectives and adverbs less!

    margo

    PS Poor lime...although, a margarita sounds good ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! When I saw Margo's prompt I immediately thought of a margarita. Great minds must think alike (or drink alike anyway). I enjoyed your poem immensely. You did a good job with the prompt - I've been afraid to attempt writing without adjectives and adverbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame on you, Margo - a poor adjective policewoman you make, I'm AFRAID - the first word of this quite lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am afraid Viv is right! Thank you Viv... poor Margo- it was not fair of me to hide that adjective so well. Seriously-this was amazingly hard to do- I will now think of another way to begin my poem. Thanks for all the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I like it the way it is. I'm not thinking of avoiding adverbs or adjectives in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...next time I'll say, when used like a verb, it doesn't count. Nice one, ViV.

    m

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, thanks so much for stopping by.