Tuesday, August 02, 2011

perspective from below

August 2, 2011 Small Stones
perspectives from below by Teri H Hoover

 Avon by the Sea, NJ 

My past hangs in my memory like a wedding dress in the sunlight-
Shimmery and a bit hazy - 
white tulle and faulty hemlines.





What in the world is she talking about? I am off reliving last weekends wedding and my past in general. I said to a friend I am in awe of this life. I am surprised at having two grown children. I am surprised at the dog laying on my couch, head hanging precariously close to the edge. I am surprised at the people I have touched and the people I have annoyed. I am surprised that I have taken up writing a blog. I am even more surprised that I have taken up writing at all. I am surprised that every time I am confused or off balance I am lovingly given a moment of balance.This is truly an incredible life. 

The photo above is the underside of my daughters wedding dress. I was working on a hem that was missed among the 5 or six layers of tulle. I was stunned by the sheer beauty found beneath a wedding dress hanging in the beach air by a window - I would have missed this the incredible perspective from below if there had been a perfect hem.

Such a wonderful surprise to be found in a faulty hemline.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful perspective, Teri! You've captured the flowing feminity and playfulness in the photo... as well as joy! :)

    And I'm happy that you found all of those surprises--including writing, as I've been enjoying all of your small stones and other works whenever I happen to visit! :) Carry on! :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri - What a positively wonderful post - both photo (which is so creative - I kept looking at it before reading your words, saying to myself, "What IS that?") and your writing. To find the Good Thing is what I always attempt (even though I sometimes fail). I've enjoyed your Blog and am glad I met you in the River.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much Lotus and Barb- I enjoyed writing this stone and capturing this image. And even in our perceived failures there is always something to write about. xo teri

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, thanks so much for stopping by.